Monday 6 February 2017

Cycling in Ladywell Fields

Cycling has often been a contested issue among park users. 
A longtime user wrote to us this week: "Whilst walking along the central park footpath today, I stopped to observe the construction work in progress and a cyclist had to swerve to avoid hitting me. I had no warning except an "Ooops". Of course he continued with no expression of regret or apology. A collision would certainly have put me in hospital.
"It seems that the designated cycle routes are no longer marked and I feel that an accident is imminent. These routes should avoid the café, children's' swing park and railway side of the sport arena.
Is a speed limit for cyclists clearly shown? It seems to me to be impossible to expect a decent code of conduct from cyclists."
As a park user AND cyclist I too am frustrated that (but understand why) cyclists prefer to use the path alongside the railway when the actual cycle path follows the River, along the eastern side of the 'north field'. It would not be so bad if cyclists slowed down in the vicinity of the cafe or accepted pedestrians on this particular path take precedence. Your thoughts?